Local & Organic
The Local Grocer is committed to organic food, local economy and local agriculture. We even have our own permaculture farm, Mountain Flower Farm, right down the road in Intervale. In season, we provide produce for the market and cafe. Though we are not certified organic, you can be assured they we far surpass national organic certification standards. We do not use any sprays, or chemical fertilizers and make a lot of our own preps. We have a composting facility at the farm where we compost all of our cafe’s food waste.
We have short season here in the mountains, but you can be assured that when in-season, we are either growing our own produce, or purchasing it from local farmers whenever it is available. We only purchase from farmers committed to organic practices. Any farm that is not certified organic is known to us personally and we can attest to their (way beyond) organic practices.
Some other local farms we support:
- Pork Hill Farm in Ossipee, NH (produce)
- Brookford Farm in Canterbury, NH (100% grass fed raw milk, kefir, yogurt and grass fed meats, produce)
- Peppermint Field Farm in Fryeburg, ME (pasture raised beef)
- Beech Hill Bison Ranch in Waterford, ME (pasture raised bison)
- Sherman Farm in Fryeburg, ME (milk which we use in our espresso bar, cafe, and sell in the market)
Out of season, The Local Grocer is committed to purchasing ONLY ORGANIC PRODUCE for use in our cafe and to sell in our market.